24.9.12

Essen Synagogue




At the time of its completion in 1913, the building was one of the largest freestanding synagogues in Europe. Despite all historical upheavals, the building's exterior was almost completely preserved. Only the forecourt was torn down after the war, giving way to a broader street.

What was once the magnificent interior of the synagogue, has since undergone extreme changes. Looted during the 1938 pogrom known as Kristallnacht, the traces of the flames remained visible until 1959. In 1961, the building was converted into a museum for industrial design.

The synagogue was meticulously designed and artistically ornamented. Some of the objects have been preserved or reconstructed, others demolished or destroyed during and after WWII.

Essen Alte Synagoge

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...